Sunday, May 5, 2013

Movie Treks




Don was delayed this week by life: bad weather, bad boat launches, very sick pet and an unexpected road trip.  We all have weeks like that! Hopefully he returns on Wednesday with a marvelous tale of aliens, super heroes and winning the lottery.

“Not having someone to play off of is just not easy! Don! This is a void!” I whimper to myself as I frantically look for things to talk about. What am I interested in that someone else would find interesting? I hastily scan the news, read the headlines, and I have to say, there isn’t much “good” news available unless you’re interested in baseball and the football draft. That is until I get to the movie section. For me, the month of May may very well be a home run.

My grandson introduced me to The Transformers, Thor, The Avengers, Captain America, and Iron Man. Iron Man 3 trailers lead me to believe that maybe I’ll have to watch the movie on a Saturday morning. The adrenalin rush alone will probably see me through the whole weekend. But it will be worth it! I have enjoyed Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, but I have to admit that I prefer his Sherlock Holmes character – much more entertaining and interesting. I think it does justice to the steam punk genre. Guess I’m a closet steam punk fan. Even though both of Downey's characters are "bad boys", the Sherlock character is much more believable.
The question my grandson asked was which Avenger do I like the best? At this moment in time, I think I like Hawk Eye because he remains the mystery man. I wonder if most women go for the "mystery man". I also realize it depends on my mood. Captain America is near the top of the list because he encapsulates the “hero” and the hero’s journey. He is the "everyman".

Our favorite? Star Trek. The TV show that launched a thousand spin offs. Well, maybe not quite that many, but enough to keep me wanting more. I still remember watching the Star Trek series on TV and how my mother thought it was a waste of good air space. I loved it even more. The first movie is probably the one movie I don't want to see again. Even though it is beautifully filmed, some of the scenes take entirely too long to unfold!  
 
 

Star Trek into Darkness with Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock) as the villain looks like a good match for Chris Pine’s arrogant Captain Kirk. We watched Abram’s Star Trek again last night to get the characters and their personalities set in our minds. This is a much anticipated event in our house – one that might even get us into a theatre with a BIG screen.

Star Wars – sold to Disney – new movie out maybe in 2016. Guess I’ll just have to wait. But I did find some news about the actors who played the characters that helped define the last two decades of the 20th century as far as movie going is concerned.
The new stuff that I learned was that Anthony Daniels, C-3PO, is a “visiting scholar at Carnigie Mellon University” (wonder what he teaches) and Kenny Baker, R2-D2, made a career out of being the compassionate robot. These two are the only two characters who have starred in all six Star Wars movies. Peter Meyhew, Chewbacca, really is 7 feet + tall! Amazing! I’m not sure how the Ford, Hamill, Fisher trio will be cast in the new movie, but I can wait. Maybe.

Other news: it finally stopped snowing, at least for this week. Sun came out and our 8 inches of snow is now just a memory. The roller coaster weather we’ve had has kept me more indoors than out. I did finally get to run a bit yesterday – I can now run a full minute as long as I have 90 seconds to recuperate. I upped my cadence to 172 steps per minute which has really helped. I’m spending a lot of time working on my form, and I think I’m getting better. At least I’m not suffering as much physically as I did when we first started. The dog and I have started walking fast for 2 minutes, walking slow for 1 minute on the days I'm not running. Dog's face really falls when I put on my running shoes and he isn't invited to go with me. Wonder if this will lead him to more delinquent behavior?

On to the “cave”. I anticipated having an answer to your riddle, Don, so I didn’t put any more time into it. Think I’ll just let mine stand for another week. It’ll give you something to tease an answer out of.
 
Have a great viewing week everyone!
Carolyn
 
Fig 1 - Avengers. Retrieved from google images. www.tease-trailer.com
Fig 2 - Star Trek Characters. Retrieved from google images. www.forbes.com
Fig 3 - R2D2/3-CPO. Retrieved from google images. www.gamingbolt.com
Fig 4 - Chewbacca. Retrieved from google images. www.IOIwall.com  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment