Wednesday, May 22, 2013

New Trek Movie - Spoiler Free , No, Really!

 
 
 
 




Hi Carolyn,

Well, got to see the new Star Trek flick a couple of days back. It was a big anticipation thing in our household too. My LSP (Long-Suffering Partner ) and I are moderate but lifelong confirmed trekkies . We're  not hard-core,  do the conventions, collect the trading cards or learn Klingonese  types but fans with an abiding interest, shall we say . I still consider the vanity plate on my vehicle to be one of my best ever birthday gifts. So here are a few  observations, both major and picayune and with a conscious attempt not to include any egregious spoilers - in case you haven't caught the movie yet.








 
 


Interesting to see that in Jolly Old England in the 23rd century there exists a Royal Childrens Hospital - I guess The Royals shall prevail.

 

I was hoping for a bit more of the  cerebral and a bit less of the  rock'em sock'em. Still it was quite an exhilarating ride and I felt a little tired in my seat when it all came to an end - one sign of a complete and utter suspension of disbelief! Yes, I'd sit right down and watch it again in a moment - maybe even in 3-D this time.



In the first flick I had a bit of a struggle with the Spockhura power couple thing , but it started to fit - after all who am I to throw a wet washcloth on blossoming love on the final frontier??  This time I’m grappling with the whole Spock as an action hero schtick. And while we’re speaking of Spock, is Leonard Nimoy ever gonna retire ? ( Ooops, is that a spoiler ?). BTW, the Audi commercial with both Spocks, which is all over the web,  is really nifty - even if I never drive one!


I was  broadsided by the true identity of the villain - but it certainly works.  I dare not say anymore  since I’m already in the Neutral zone between Federation space and the Spoiler quadrant, and edging towards the dark side.






J.J. Abrams likes The Beasties!  This is the 2nd song of theirs in his Star Trek movies.

 There are abundant tropes, tricks and and tid-bits that trekkies alone would click into. Not only were there healthy doses of trekanalia, but there were even a few rejigged and juxtaposed scenarios and trademark lines. It's a pretty rich motherlode to mine, though so I doubt they'll run out of things to revisit anytime soon. I give it two appendages up!








Riddles are front and centre now. I'm guessing that your last one was hair. Your Bosnian connection was not quite on the mark as the answer was boredom.  But I can see how Cynicism could fit the parameters as well, although it's more of a character trait whereas anyone, even Pollyanna, can be bored.   Your mention of the "little bird" part was interesting and took me back to when I was in Sarajevo for a bit and there was a mother bird nesting in the shell holes of the apartment of my good friends where I stayed - and we named her " Shelly".


 I offer the following for this round








Verbally provocative and physically sharp
Reveals speed, pressure or music
Delivers the cure or the antidote
All the conifers are sporting them



Don



All images retrieved from Google Images:

Fig 1 - theatrehopper.storenvy.com
Fig. 2 - plateshock.com
Fig. 3 - brownsugarbritches.com
Fig. 4 - tammytew.blogspot.com
Fig. 5 - byrnerobotics.com








 

No comments:

Post a Comment