Sunday, March 10, 2013

Under Construction





 
The rigorous edit has been survived. The opening of the story is weak, hard to understand and the new opening is boring. The rest of the story appears to be pretty good. I’ve been reviewing John Howard Reid’s Seven Solid Roads to Writing Success, a quick little book I picked up off of Amazon. So how do I think I did according to Reid’s suggestions? Reid’s point three is: Your First Words. “Those first words are important. … you have to arouse the interest of the reader right from the start” (2012). He talks about the first sentence being important – I think the whole first series of paragraphs have to be engaging, even the opener of a trilogy. That seems to be one of the points I really stress when I’m editing; so, to have it done to me just reminds me that the reader comes first.

I've also edited the dialogue and the action - tried to strip it down to the essentials. Keeping the dialogue as a way to advance the story and reveal bits and pieces of the characters as the story goes along has taken time, but I think I've got it.  Zack, in his CaptainJackson series, has characters that speak in dialect and as the episodes have unfolded, his characters remember or think or react differently to the events in the plot so it is becoming easier to identify the characters without having to have their name attached to what they say or do; I think part of that is familiarity with the characters has helped.  

Action, movement in the story. Reid suggests that readers want “thrilling, fast-paced, suspenseful, with a nice ironic twist at the end” (2012). One of the better ironic twist writers is Jeph Keir. Just when you think you’ve got the story nailed down, he pulls the rug out. In mine – no ironic twist, but I also accept that I am writing a series that I hope will eventually be consolidated in a book. Too many twists in the beginning and it gets hard to remember what all needs to be ironed out in the end. I’ve got the conflict thing down. So the question becomes, is the story entertaining? Guess I’ll find out in April when it gets published as part of Transport 20.
 

Sorry to hear about your lack of enthusiasm for winter, Don, especially since you live in a place that has a lot of winter. We got snow yesterday - lots of cold wind, but today the sun is out and the sidewalks and streets are melting. For the most part, winters in Colorado are pretty nice! Very do-able!

Don, it was interesting that you have started Science is Culture; an amazing concept. I just completed a two day workshop on the intersection of religion and science. Amazing! There is now scientific proof that what we think does affect the chemical compounds in our bodies and how these compounds are distributed among our genes which then trains the body to become the subconscious mind – triggering chemical releases from the mind based on past experiences. Essentially, we are living today based on reactions to the past. Ground Hog Day revisited daily.

For those of you on the East Coast looking for things to do on St. Patty's Day, head on over to Lunacan at the Hilton West Chester in Rye Brook, NY. and say HI to Ariel Cinii! She'll be part of the music program and if things go well, she'll also be reading from her book, Family Forge

As for my riddle: a lamp (table, floor or hanging)

My guess for yours is: Sneeze

 So hear is a new riddle:
 
Big and blocky yet can render in color
Capable of compositing dreams or demands
Discharges its guts
One sheet at a time

Well, back to editing - promised a book edit by this evening - time to get it finished.

Have a great week,
Carolyn

Oh, and Don - this is for you! As I'm learning, the story is always under construction!

No comments:

Post a Comment