Sunday, March 31, 2013

Graphic Novels and education


cartoonmovement.com
51 posts?! Far out! Pat yourself on the back, Don! Congratulations! When we first started this venture, I was worried that I wouldn’t have enough to write about or that what I said wouldn’t be of interest to anyone. But we have maintained a steady readership world-wide, most recently with consistent clicks from Indonesia and China. I’m not sure I’m ready to claim we have faithful followers, but we do have readers. It must be the subject matter and of course, the riddles. Speaking of which, my riddle answer was: book. I’ve had the clock ticking for 4 days now on your last riddle, Don, and nothing has struck me. I have absolutely no idea! I must be on vacation!

I’ve enjoyed your Kubrick and authors information. The first two times I saw 2001, I would say I agreed with your wife: That was the stupidest movie ever! By the 3rd time I viewed it, it made more sense and subsequent viewings keep opening up new and different trains of thought for me. Kubrick took movie making to a new and different level with his use of visuals and by tapping into the odd, less predictable endings; he seemed to delight in making people uneasy with his endings. (Dr. Strange Love comes to mind.)  

Your path through Kubrick History led me to graphic novels, which I’ve spent time this week investigating. Many of my students are animators or graphic artists who can’t seem to tell a story unless it is drawn. And I have to say, this worries me. And yet, who took her grandson to the comic book store so he could choose his own graphic novels? Who rejoiced when he sat and read one of them to her? (I shall remain nameless at this time.) I guess I haven’t made my mind up as to the value of the graphic novel.

themedfairedesign.blogspot.com
As a teacher, I’m concerned that we are inhibiting our ability to read and understand the written word; that as a society, we will be reduced to the middle ages when most of the population could only read the pictures on signs. It has been proven many times over in elections throughout the world that the success of democracy is based on the literacy levels of the people; that people who can’t read will vote for whom ever builds the best emotional argument which means the population is manipulate able.


Descargas-bicolores.blogspot.com
One of the things I’ve learned is that the United States has comics; Europe has graphic novels. The difference? Authors and publishers in Europe, especially French publishers, have taken it upon themselves to not only teach the reader something, but also draw attention to something (a plight, a social disservice, a prejudice…) The social service concept delivered as a graphic novel has yet to tip over into popularity in the United States; for the most part, graphic novels/comics are entertainment.

graphictextbook.blogspot.com
Further investigation produced a most interesting turn – graphic textbooks. Jeremy Short, professor of business for University of Oklahoma collaborated with David Ketchen and Will Terrell (illustrator) to create a business textbook about franchising and business strategies. They told interviewer Kyle Arnold that the biggest challenge was putting the “textbook into a narrative fiction format” (Arnold, K., 2012). Has it been successful in the classroom? According to Short, the students think so. But the idea hasn’t caught on in with other academics. However, one of the most successful teaching books for the body and its various systems is a graphic coloring book that the user colors themselves. And I’ve seen the graphic textbook used successfully for teaching in the nursing field. So theoretically, the use of images integrated with text should be a winning no-brainer for instructors. So why do we find it so hard to let go of “only text is truth?” especially when faced with “a picture is worth a thousand words”. Why do I? Old habits die hard? I’ll have to think about this.
None of this takes into consideration quality of picture, quality of text, formatting, which play a big part in whether or not a novel is "quality"! Just trying to wrap my head around comic/graphics as an enabler of learning is kind of warping my thoughts right now. I'll have to get back to you on that later.

As to a riddle this week? I had the week off and didn’t even once consider a riddle! So I’m going to beg off for this week. But I did find desk and table, edited two new books for Wormhole, got the new Transport 20 on Amazon and read some steampunk short stories. Tomorrow I go back to work bright and early, or should I say “dark and early.” Get to meet new students – the adventure continues.

 

Have a good week, everyone!

Carolyn

 

Reference:

Arnold, K. (2012) Graphic novels on business may overtake textbooks. Tulsa World. Retrieved from www.tulsaworld.com
fig.1: cartoonmovement.com
fig 2: themedfairedesign.blogspot.com
fig 3: descargas-bicolores.blogspot.com
fig 4: graphictextbooks.blogspot.com
fig 5: googlegraphics.com

1 comment:

  1. Reading is a rigorous activity........

    John Phanchalad CEO JP Digital Tech have a very good track record in digital media marketing. To know more about Mr Phanchalad and latest updates on business promotion you can contact John Phanchalad http://johnphanchalad.com/about

    ReplyDelete