Sunday, November 18, 2012

Addiction to Music is catching


 
 
 
 
 
I saw this and thought of you, Don.
 
 
 
 
 
 
You’re good, Don! Raccoon Family is the answer to the riddle. I love the picture! My daughter occasionally deals with bears in her neighborhood, but so far, none have strayed this far into our town.
I understand about music. Music is a must in my life. I have different types of genres of music for the various activities I am engaged in. I’m not quite as into exploring different sounds as Don is -I prefer instrumental, piano is a favorite. Guess that could be because I played piano for many years. I even accompanied our kids as they competed through high school – our daughter was on the bassoon, and our son was on cello. We did okay until their talents exceeded mine as their music became more complicated. Our daughter did a double major in college – music and education. Our son has continued his musical interests and found a guitar far more portable than the cello. He started a “Rock Band” at the school he teaches. They’re not ready for prime time but they seem to enjoy playing. Me? I play a CD multi – stack player pretty well and have managed to put together some decent playlists on my iPod. I keep thinking I’ll get back to the keyboard someday, but for now, I’ll leave that to my husband.

Like everything else, music is changed a lot over the years, especially how to buy it.  I’m one of those people who likes to see the cover of the CD before I buy it. How an artist puts together their images and uses color on their cover influences me.  I loved going out and listening to music in the different stores – it was an outing and an adventure. I know that iTunes is available and I can buy individual songs, but the sense of adventure is missing, that sense of discovery is gone. And I admit I don’t know enough about new artists anymore to even know where to begin to get new beats to listen to. I guess I’m still old-fashioned in that respect. I imagine that techno to me is comparable to rock ‘n roll to my folks.

One of my favorite past times is imagining what kind of soundtrack I would put behind the stories I’m editing. Scott Searles book, ONE, one of the first stories we published, needs a full orchestra, deep booming sounds,brass and drums; Bone Mechanic by Jeph Keir is flutes and bowls with crashing ocean in the background. I haven’t quite gotten the right sounds together for Ariel’s books yet, and for my own, I haven’t thought of the sounds. To be truthful, I was relieved to just get the writing done. But I admit that sound is in the back of my head as I pen my latest Tracker story – guess I’d best speed up the tempo as the rough draft is due in a couple months.

Advert:
I’m tickled to announce that in December we will showcase the six books Wormhole Electric has published since its inception 15 months ago. We will be offering all of the Amazon Transports for free for the month of December. We are also offering a special edition Transport that has the beginning stories of the books we’ll be showcasing. The Beginnings Transport will be free through Amazon and our website http://www.wormholeelectric.com starting December 7th.

No comments:

Post a Comment