Friday, June 13, 2014

Bad moon rising ??

Hi Carolyn,





Wacka-wacka.!!  it's been a week but it seems like a moment or two. I haven't gone anywhere so how did I miss, or misplace,  a whole freakin' week












Son-of-a-gun, it's Friday the 13th and it's a full moon  night - is it safe to come out? Also, apparently there is some kind of unusual alignment amongst some of the planets to make this a trifecta of ominousness in superstition-ville. ( is that a word? ). I have never gotten into the alignment/misalignment of the planets thing at all. Is it part of the horoscope scene or ??.





 Anyhow, a quick word or two since it appears that I have to make a somewhat unexpected trip, once again,  down to the land that wi-fi forgot ( i.e. my in-laws ) early to-morrow. It's one of those ticklish visits to parents who are clearly in need of leaving the homestead and moving to a  supervised living facility but are still fiercely independent and feel that no such thing is necessary.  





My recent re-acquaintance with Captain Jackson has only strengthened my conviction that, either consciously or subconsciously the author has been significantly influenced by that real life "Capitan Yack" fellow of the Texas Rangers that I was talking about last winter. That's my story and now, after revisiting the Captain Jackson world, I'm sticking to it like crazy glue I tellya!









Carolyn, vis-à-vis your last blog, I SO wish I was ten, in a number of ways. That's probably the golden age for the triumph of the spirit of wonderment in each of us. I'm not sure that I'd like to have the ten year old's spirit of wonder tempered with the adults pragmatic understanding of how the world actually works, however. I can't see how the two would find a common ground. The really brilliant minds, I sometimes think, are those that still include a very healthy proportion of that, unbridled, childlike inquisitive fervor. The Asimovs and the Jobs and the Lennons and McCartneys and such, all seem to be propelled to a certain extent by a youthful and inexorable spirit of some sort. Luv to get me a heaping helping of that!







Last night was election night here and my LSBH was in charge of one voting location in a rural district just south of Owen Sound. She had some interesting stories after her very, very long day at the polling booth. Wish I could elaborate here and now but maybe later. It certainly made her appreciate how democracy seems to be taken more seriously in the rural areas and by the ethnic population. 



Surprisingly, the incumbent party, which  had been at the reins for a a decade plus, and had been riddled by a few scandals, came through with a majority this time around. Many had thought they would be turfed out or at least humbled. The main opposition party ran a clearly mean-spirited campaign and this may have been a factor as well.





I had a whole menu of other things that I wanted to kick about this time but they will have to wait a wee bit. I also haven't been able to manufacture anymore riddles so my boast last time will be pretty hollow right now. But I will do the General Douglas MacArthur thing on this.




Catch ya next time.



Don




All figures sourced from Google Images

Fig. 1 - See previous entry

Fig. 2 - www.womansday.com

Fig. 3 - www. telegraph. co. uk

Fig. 4 - en.wikipedia.org

Fig. 5 - throughablogdarkly.blogspot.com





No comments:

Post a Comment