Friday, May 2, 2014

Awesomely Literal and Literally Awesome

Hi Carolyn,






Well,   Happy quite belated Easter. I always saw Easter as the yin and Thanksgiving as the yang in the warm season holiday cycle - with all summers promises and surprises stuffed between them.



First of all a couple of observations from our daughter in her professorial pursuits, that you would appreciate, Carolyn, and may have your own instances to match.




She teaches at The University Of Ontario Institute of Technology (  UOIT )   -slyly known by students and parents alike as “ You OWE IT “ .   UOIT is, by design, a non-paper educational institution. All interactions other than those in the classroom are carried on through the university’s internal digital network. Each student has a laptop computer as do the profs and all submissions and other communications between staff and students are done online. This also allows instant feedback vis-à-vis any and all classroom activities.



With this level of connectivity students can interact with their instructors as well. This aspect sometimes brings with it some interesting peccadilloes.



All professors include instructions on how to appeal any academic results or any other matter that students may feel are not fair and reasonable. This includes instructions on the manner in which appeals are made. My daughter included, as a matter of course, the requirement that any appeal must be submitted in writing. She received feedback shortly thereafter from a student who indignantly pointed that this was a situation in which all communications were made online on the institution network. Being asked for something " in writing " was, therefore, unfair and unreasonable.




 

 

The final evaluation process ( a.k.a. the exam ) included a question that called for a “character sketch “ and the concept was, of course, dealt with in class and in review. Two students communicated afterwards that they felt this was most unfair. - “I am not an artist and its not fair that I should be made to draw pictures - this is not an art course.” one of them indicated.



..hmmm.

 
switchin gears here ...
 

 


 
I’ve probably noted before that my most favorite blog site for just plain fascinating science, technology and gadgetry is Gizmag  I have, like most folks who are online daily, a usual suspects list that I cycle thru most as part of my routine.

 
 

 Gizmag, is surely the one I d take to that proverbial desert island if I was only allowed to take one blog with me.






 
 
 
 
 
 
A recent stop-in yielded an intriguing item  about graphene. It was the first time I'd heard about this halfway to miraculous material. It's definitely got, as Little Richard sings it, " a lot of what they call 'the most'"







 
 


I won't go into detail about it since its multitude of wondrous features are readily available in a bunch of places out there. Man, it sure sounds like neat stuff, though.



Okay, the riddle cave is calling and I have an answer and a riddle.



First off, I am guessing that your last riddle was a pot holder or whatever those things that you grab hot stuff.



My latest offering:




green fruits transformed into
toasted nuggets of energy
economies are built thereupon
lifestyles include starting the day therewith
 


Bye for now.

Don

OOps, I forgot to note that my previous riddle way back when was blood. Apologies for the oversight.



All images sourced from Google Images

Fig. 1 - november2013calendar.org
Fig. 2 - hdwallpapermania.com
Fig. 3 - www.picturedraw.co.uk
Fig. 4 - www.gizmag.com
Fig. 5 - www.cnn.com
Fig. 6 - www.extremetech.com










 
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment