Thursday, October 3, 2013

Haymakers and holodecks





Hi Carolyn,




 
 
 
I don't know how things have been going atmospherically out in your part of the continent recently but here it's been incredible for a couple of weeks running. I know I waxed on incessantly about the weather last time but since then it's just been day after day of  climate-Camelot stuff.  It's been like a huge magnet pulling me outside everyday. It's just about the only topic in conversation hereabouts at the moment and we're all sorta looking sideways at each other and grinning a bit too heartily because we know we're cheatin' the weather Fates this time around.
 
 
 
 

 


The weather-forecasters, ( a.k.a. the wet blanket brigade )  tell me that it's soon to come crashing down though. Apparently there are bad things brewing out your way that will literally rain on our parades here. In fact I've been meaning to ask you,  Carolyn from Colorado, just what's the deal with your state and those right around it being one of the roots of all evil in the weather world of continental North America ?



The official term that gets bandied about is  Colorado Low  and the meteorologist types seem to always refer to it in either ominous or  reverent/fearful  tones. In reference thereto,  one of the weather sites I visited enthusiastically noted,  " This system has it all"   It's been mentioned in the forecasts lately and I have a feeling , as John Fogerty sings it, there's a bad moon on the rise..






 Sometimes, when they get more colorful or hyperbolic, the weather-liars employ terms like a "Colorado Haymaker" or "Colorado Express Train", or even just a "Colorado Troublemaker". Lest we Canadians feel left out of all this notoriety apparently it's at its most potentially dangerous when it is aided and abetted by an Alberta High. Well, no matter what falls from above courtesy of the Colorado weather wizards,  once this super-sized dose of Indian Summer has run out, I'm gonna miss it.






My LSBH ( Long-Suffering-Better-Half ) and I have been doing the kitchen renovation thing. We are in the early stages to be sure but its surprising just how diametrically opposite our views on even a seemingly mundane topic like this can be. To that end there have been a bunch of home renovation shows traipsing across our television screen for the last few months. I'm starting to realize that they are paying an undue, and, I think, unhealthy amount of attention to the demolition part of things and then glossing over the rest.  Your dream kitchen can be realized in 22 or 47 minutes.   Taking a sledgehammer to that icky kitchen that you've learned to hate is portrayed as something gloriously therapeutic.







This is one of those supreme mental floss situations for me.  The solution is screamingly obvious - a holodeck !


 Picture it!  If you're feeling particularly adventuresome in an old-world culinary vein  call up the Michelin Five-Star kitchen program, complete with a saucy and narcissistic French sous chef.  Want to just have something simple, then dial up the tropical fruits and veggies sub-routine and go and clip and chop your own. I'd like to be tossing some fresh lake perch fillets into a cast-iron skillet with just a bit of butter and cilantro - click - I'm there.  And the holodeck wine cellar - oh, be still my beating heart !


 I can't remember at this moment which novel it was but one of the first Heinlein novels I read included holographic food. It was called syntho-something-or-other but the concept was cool, and still is.


  I've just finished supper as I write this but I do believe I'm hungry again !!


I'm gonna leave last week's riddle in the riddle-revolving-door so you can catch it on the next time around, Carolyn


Well, I've said a mouthful here, so see ya later.


Don


P.S. - It looks like, if all goes well, we will be hanging out on the Yucatan Peninsula for six weeks this year during February and March.




All images sourced from Google Images

Fig. 1 - illustrationsource.com
Fig. 2 - epilogue.net
Fig. 3 - fineartamerica.com
Fig. 4 - ehow.com
Fig. 5 - storiesbywilliams.com




















No comments:

Post a Comment