Sunday, April 21, 2013

Technology, Transportation and Space Ships!


Don,

Glad to hear the winter blahs are retreating! I got the same kind of lift just jogging last weekend. That was cut short by the new snow we had on Monday through Wednesday. You’d never guess that the snow was knee deep by Monday night. By mid-afternoon Thursday, it was just ankle deep with beautiful dark green grass and a halo of yellow showing through the drifts. I do so love spring!

Semantics are such a troublesome thing. You’re right, billiards is not a sweat producing sport unless you are losing. And I so agree about the card shark! Are we becoming so arm-chair bound that poker and mental competitions are the new “sports”?

On to other intriguing subjects. Every quarter I chose a topic to investigate along with my research class. This quarter I’m looking into the technological advances made in the 1960s that influence our lives today. I am totally amazed at what came out of that very tumultuous time. Not only did we land men on the moon, but the computer went from being warehouse size to calculator size.  Did you know that Kevlar was originally designed to take the place of steel belts in tires? Now Kevlar is in bike tires and in cell phones! The arpenet is the precursor of the internet, the original game box was a ping-pong game known as the Brown Box, and the dial tone not only gave speed dialing a new name, it led the way to the ATM! How in the world could we ever even conceive of life without these things?

Just out of curiosity, I was flipping through one of the science news streams that are available and I discovered a couple of things that are building on the 1960s. One of my favorite Saturday cartoons was the Jetsons. We haven’t developed the flying cars yet, but Hyundia unveiled the new personal mobility transport for those who think walking is old hat – the E4U. It goes 20 mph, weighs 176 pounds and looks like a huge egg. The critics think the required helmet is a bit much, but the power system has potential: a 24 V battery with a 500 watt electric motor. I didn’t read about how long it took to recharge or how far you could go on a single charge. But the fact that it was something that I could move if it got stuck was amazing to me! (I’m easily amazed these days.) This might be my answer to a scoter.

Then the news got even better! The University of Washington and MSNW, a space propulsion company, announced that they were close to a break through on a fusion rocket that would do a round trip to Mars in 30 – 90 days. That sure beats the current 500 day trip. The engine compresses plasma with a magnetic field which shoots hot ionized metal out the rocket nozzle. Sounds a bit Star Trekish. If metal becomes scarce, just pull up to an asteroid and mine a bit!

The news from Wormhole is all stories for May 3rd publication have been submitted and edited! Transport 21 is a GO!  We’re publishing a new to us author, and I just got news from O’Ryan that maybe she’ll have something penned out for us in November.

Don, I’ve come up with what seem like lame questions to ask authors: How long have you been writing? What genre of book do you like to write best? How do you get the idea for your characters? Where do you get your plot ideas? How did you get into writing ebooks? (That answer should be fairly easy – “I was contacted by this crazy blonde …) Do you have any writing tips or advise to aspiring authors?     Any question suggestions, Don?

To the Riddle Cave!

My guess to your newest is: an appeal.

Mine was:  venetian blinds but I remember the test patterns. I used to watch for breaks in them on Sunday afternoons on channel 2 which announced Buck Rogers was about to explode onto the black and white screen. I’m not sure any of the stations around here go off the air any more – if they do, it is just a field of snow sizzling on the screen

So here is this week’s:

Looping curves of color

Silver, gold, blue, white, black green

Fastener of paper, files and hems
 
A definite show stopper if shredding
 
 
It's been a tough week here in the United States: Boston; West, Texas
 
My hat is off to all the responders - their job is difficult at best. Thank you for caring.
 
Carolyn
 
Fig 1 - www.123rf.com
Fig 3 - quipster.wordpress.com
Fig 4 - cars.sulekka.com
Fig 5 - phys.org

No comments:

Post a Comment