Sunday, April 14, 2013

Academy awards Argo?!


Thanks for the support, Don. Putting away the climbing was one of the harder things I’ve done this year. We considered ballroom dancing but discovered the lessons for two cost more than two pair of running shoes. One of my favorite girly flicks is Shall We Dance. I think the attraction might be Richard Gere… but the movie made me investigate ballroom dancing. I’d love to see us on the floor, like the couple you described as “an absolute study in fluidity and grace.” Ah well, another decade perhaps.

Don, I’m not sure I would qualify sailing and motorcycling as passive. And I’ve seen and played enough billiards to know that it takes dexterity and fluidity of  body and thought. Like you, it amazes me how much I can be in denial of the changes in my body due to “experiencing life”. I guess it is still that wanting things not to change. Would I chose to be young forever? Only if I can keep the memories and learn to be wise.



Interesting you should mention the A-Team remake – it is one of my favorite “when I don’t I want to do or think about anything” movies. I so agree, it is Olympic candy-floss. Which brings us to this year’s Academy Awards. We’d kept up  with seeing the nominated best movies but we’d not seen Argo by Awards time.  We saw Lincoln on a big screen and were blown totally away by the grandeur and scope of the project. Daniel Day-Lewis as Lincoln was, in our opinion, a stroke of genius.  When the Academy gave the Best Picture award to Argo, we were stunned! I felt it was a slap in the face for Stephen Speilberg.


How could such an awe-inspiring accomplishment be ignored?

A couple of weeks ago I found Argo in the $5 bin at WalMart and bought it. We watched it and now I understand. Ben Afflick as an actor leaves a lot to be desired, especially when he is directing. But the scenes he directed when he wasn’t acting are memorable. But I think it is the story line itself. Lincoln was predictable – we all knew that in the end, he was going to die. Just like we all knew the Titanic was going sink – no amount of spectacular was going to change the ending. Yes, we know the ending of Argo – the embassy people get saved thanks to Canadian hospitality. (I acutally found a neat picture of "Canadian hospitality") But it was the way they were saved. There were no high speed car chases, no shoot outs – just intense intrigue of “how are they going to do this?”

Like I said, the acting (not counting Afflick) was good – not terrific, not "stand up join a fan club" kind of acting. But everyone played well off of each other, the plot line was great; and most importantly, it was different from the other movies in the same category. It was just as intense, just as electrifying , just as fast paced as any action film we’ve  seen. I found myself  shallow breathing while the plane was taking off in the end and I didn’t really breathe until it was announced the plane had made it into free airspace.  Sometimes the unexpected is what wins the day.

Riddle Cave! What a name! Okay, Don, you were correct - bifocals. The hearing aspect is only because glasses fit over the ears.
My guess for yours is: snow shoes

So - I'm pretty sure this one is self-evident, but thought I'd spin it out anyway.

Blocker of the view of the world
either striped or horizontal
colors of the rainbow
heavy or not





Well, time to finish the edits for next month's ezine without commercials Transport 21. We have a new author who is sharing her Twlight Zonish talents with us!

Have a good week everyone!
Carolyn

Images:
fig 1 - www.123rf.com
fig 2 - www.ferbacco.blogspot.com  
fig 3 www.aceshowbiz.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment