Sunday, April 7, 2013

Hanging it up


I had originally intended to write further about graphic novels and education. In fact, I actually wrote two pages on the subject. When I reread it, I discovered how totally boring it was. If the writer is bored, I can only imagine what the readers would think. So I’ve moved on.

Part of the climbing problem was we came to it late in our lives. We were over 55 when we started so we didn’t have the confidence to lead climb. Everyone we climbed with took good care of us, but I’m sure they felt the strain of having to set our ropes so we invited to outdoor climb less and less frequently. Our last outdoor climb included an unwanted guest – a rattle snake, so we took our climbing indoors. We gym climbed for about a year, but that got old. Even the indoor routes were being set to get people ready for the rigors of outdoor climbing, not for people who were just maintaining their skills. Then my arm began to act up, and my thumbs decided not to participate in the climbing process. I thought taking some time off would help. Physical therapy did wonders, but it brought me to the point of - do I climb or do I grade papers? I can’t figure out how to climb without my thumbs. It is with a sad heart, I put my shoes away.

So it has been quiet, long winter. I spent a lot of time riding the vintage stationary bike, looking out at the street while I cycled away. It got me through the cold months. But spring is here and I find myself wanting to be outdoors doing something that isn’t yard or garden related. My daughter-in-law suggested running, or at least speed walking. I’d considered running before, but only knew people who were injured runners who wanted to run again. Sounded a lot like me and climbing . I decided to avoid this exercise at all costs. I tried the speed walking thing only to discover that I had the wrong shoes. My shoes are tough heavy soled hiking tennies, great for mountain hikes (like getting to a rock face to climb), but not designed for speed walking. What is the best shoe? A running shoe – there’s that word again – running.

My daughter-in-law, Honey, (yes, her name really is Honey,) sent me the url for the Couch to 5K site. I read it, looked into the schedule, read the included links to various articles, but I still wasn’t convinced that running was the thing for me. Too many possible injuries. I was at the bookstore and discovered a magazine, Runners World, that had a great section on  shoes, injury prevention and a great little article on Chi Running. I won’t bore you with the details, but I discovered that there is a way to run that is almost injury free. And the local running shoe store advertised a free form clinic. Three times "running" showed up. Honey and our son are transferring to China next fall and apparently there are lots of 5Ks we can do – Honey was brazen enough to suggest we start a 5K around the world bucket list. Interesting idea.

I did a cost comparison. Running shoes are expensive! And having an interval timer and a cadence metronome are helpful, which adds to the cost. But driving to the parking lot to hike to a rock face is getting more expensive with gas, and gyms are not cheap. The climbing equipment is good only for climbing (well, the rope makes for good tree climbing as does the harness,) but the shoes and the quick draws and the other tools needed are not cheap and not made for anything else. Running is something I can do the minute I leave my front door and if I can’t run, I’m equipped to the fast walk. And best of all - age doesn’t matter.

We did our first 60 second run, 90 second walk cycle for 25 minutes yesterday. We didn’t break any records. And this new beginning reminds both my husband and I of when we were just starting to climb - posture and style are everything. Too bad there isn’t a buzzer at the end of the run to announce to the world I made it home.

5K around the world. Hmmmm. Anyone want to buy some quick draws – only used three times?

Riddle: Okay Don, I got my thesaurus out...

Improves hearing
Divinely perched on the sneezer
Magnifies and puts into perspective the world
 

A new contest is out through sowrite.us.com! How well can you write spam? Check it out!

Advert:
The Wormhole Electric Fantasy Collection is available on Amazon and Amazon UK. Great reads while waiting!

Wormhole Electric Transport 20 is now on Amazon and Amazon UK.
You can wet your appetite by going to http://www.wormholeelectric.com and reading the first chapters for free!
 






Figures:
fig. 1: bestclipartblog.com
fig. 2: godoreen.com

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment