Sunday, January 27, 2013

Envy and Straying


Don, I don’t see a smirk as much as a gloat – 36 inches of snow and 36 hours! Whoa! Enjoy the sun and the geckos! You deserve it. We'll keep this image of you in mind until you send us another.

 
 
 
 
 
 
Before we get too far astray, I’d like to mention (really, this is a gloat) that Ariel Cinii received a well deserved review from SFCALR-MAG for her book, FamilyForge. Wormhole
Electric premiered the book as well as her second, The Organized Seer, and we are all a twitter about the review:

 
“This incredibly complex but exceedingly rewarding read will appeal to hard-core fans of the genres who want more than just fantastical adventures but stories with soul.… This is aimed directly at Science Fiction aficionados out there. It hits every button with laser point precision giving it a depth and quality that only few titles have.”

Well done Ariel!

 
The writing contest through sowrite.us.com has been extended for a week. The story starter is incredible:

“This I confess, and nothing more!” she cried aloud to the howling throng.

If you have even a remote idea of what happens next, link on over to sowrite.us and join in for free.

 

Now to straying. Sorry to hear your weather forecasters have been tweaking the English so much, Don, that “squall warnings” sound like brief interludes of rain. They’ve been spot on here – balmy, high clouds, storm fronts pushing through – no measurable precipitation. It is the driest winter on record, not good for a state that depends on the ski/snowboard industry.

I’ve actually been able to dedicate some time to writing this week. I’ve translated 30 pages of third person to first-person. I really like the change in intensity, and really, it has made the story less complicated to follow and write. I don’t have to worry about what other characters are planning and plotting and keeping it in consistent verb tense. Of course, my main character is partnered with animal characters so she is able to be the “spider on the wall” on several occasions. I wonder if it will ruin the mystery element?

Young Riddler! You’re so cute Don –

You are right, the answer to my riddle was shoes. I’ve never seen gloves with laces. What an interesting visual.

Your riddle has stumped me. I’ve gone from beer to swimming, to floating; I think the ship in the bottle is a clue… rowing? Sailing? But I don’t know how that applies to toreadors and flowers. I think I’m missing something here…

 

Here’s a riddle to keep you busy while you’re flying south:

thin flimsy large but mostly small

lined or blank

white or colored

likes to be scratched on

keeper of thoughts and meanderings

 

Have a great trip, Don! Fly safe. Remember us while you are basking in the sun and I’m looking forward to lots of news from south of the border.

 

Carolyn

 

No comments:

Post a Comment