Sunday, August 24, 2014

Peter Rabbit and The Dr.

Happy Sunday Don,

So I'm beginning to feel like Mr. McGregor in the story Peter Rabbit. We came home from the grocery store the other day and found a rabbit sitting in the container I have my carrots planted in. I don't think he had pulled any the carrots out yet. Not sure what we're going to do as he could be living in a couple of different places: under the shed or slipping under the fence to live in the abandoned back yard behind us. So I'm in a dilemma – I don't want him eating my garden, but I also don't want him to die. If we were to trap him out, where would we release him? Our neighborhood appears to be overrun with rabbits.

So I'm thinking about this at night while I trying to go to sleep, and the raccoons start to do their little jig up on our roof. My better half thinks that they are living in a nest about 30 feet up in the tree just off the corner of the house. So I am dilemma – I know the raccoon has babies and if we were to trap her out, we might not get the babies and then they might die because they don't have their mama to take care of them… In the meantime I would really like to be able to get a good night's sleep.

I share your fascination with trees, Don. We have about 20 robust, healthy, mature trees in our less than an acre yard. Larry keeps wanting to cut some of them down – I keep reminding him that the trees keep us cooler in the summer. So we finally came to a point of agreement: if he cuts a tree down, he has to plant tree. This has worked well for us as we been able to prune out the trees that needed to be moved because of high power lines or have become unhealthy, and we've been able to put in new trees in places that are beneficial to us in our yard. 

The one tree that I regret that we had to cut down was our weeping willow. It was sadly rotten and slowly dying and became very unsafe, but still.... I was able to count the rings and it was over 65 years old as far as I can tell. We have great pictures of our grandkids playing in the tree and using the draping branches and leaves as curtains for hide and seek.

A couple of years ago we took a trip to California and we were fortunate enough to visit one of the redwood forest national parks. That park had the tallest, older and the bigger redwoods. One of them was pushing to be about 400 feet tall and the girth of that tree was bigger than my house. It was one of those sacred places that I will always remember. Here in Colorado, in Olatha, there is a tree that when you touch it you can almost swear it is part of the core of the earth itself. Someone told me that the tree was well over 600 years old.

There is a program on TV about treehouse building. I wish we had trees in our yard that we could build a tree house in – I'm not looking at creating a spare bedroom with all the conveniences, but there is something very special about being in a tree.

If we are not collecting trees, we are collecting lighthouses. I think it is our dream that once we retire that we volunteer for a couple of months on the seashore to give the lighthouse tours. Not sure if that will ever happen – but it is a great.

Came across this picture of a swimming hole on the Bruce Peninsula and immediately thought of you. Maybe you know what it. It's a beautiful beautiful picture.


So finally and at last the new Dr. Who made his debut last night. I know that you are not a Dr. Who fan, Don, but for some of us this was an event that we have been waiting for all summer. Peter Capaldi, the newest Dr. Who, did an absolutely fantastic job and taking over for Matt Smith. Smith was the youngest Dr. Who, Capaldi is the oldest Dr. Who. Jenna Coleman who plays Clara was able to express the audience's concern about having a Dr. Who that has gray hair and wrinkles. Capaldi did an absolutely marvelous monologue on his face – that he couldn't figure out why he had chosen such an old face with evil eyebrows. I'm sure that the writers had a ball putting this new season together. It was a tribute to youth and maturity. I think Capaldi did a great job capturing what many baby boomers are feeling – young in spirit, "mature" in body. I'm looking forward to the new season.

So I'm going to spend the rest of the afternoon working on Transport 34 which goes into Amazon for publication next weekend. I have not decided which book to offer for free yet as I have several to choose from. Ariel sent me her latest book so once I get done with Transport 34, I get to rest and relax and read another Cinii book. It's going to be a great afternoon.

As far as your riddle is concerned, Don, my guess would be an acorn? A box elder windmill seed? A maple tree? I'll work on it through the week.


Have a great week everyone.
Carolyn

All images downloaded from Google Images



No comments:

Post a Comment