Sunday, August 25, 2013

New contest and how to be flexible when writing


Good morning, Don. In five weeks we’ll have done 100 entries? WOW! I’m impressed. I was really worried when we first started this that I wouldn’t have anything to say, let alone anything interesting. Can’t say I’ve always fulfilled the “interesting” part, but hopefully I haven’t bored very many people.
You asked about my “flexible” outline for my next Tracker episode. Good question. I have certain event points that are pretty important, but I don’t always know how I’m going to get to them. That’s the “flexible” part. Right now I’m working on the first section. A reader of the last episode mentioned Tren’s godlike status (I mentioned this in a previous blog). In the beginning of this episode, Tren has to lose his status in order for the rest of the story to work. I haven’t figured out how yet, but it is coming. I’m actually working backwards from the final climax. That is helping me deconstruct the characters and how they get along. I know what they have to be like in the end, in order to survive. I have the events that led to that point – the actual process of getting to each event is still in question. Does that help?
The week has been busy – put the final polish on the three stories we are presenting in September. I’ve actually gotten them on Amazon a week early. For those of you so inclined to be the early bird, I’ve listed the Science Fiction Fantasy Transport 24 for $.99 until the first Friday in September –that’s two weeks away.
T24 includes Colby’s incredible essay on Comic Con, 2013. His misadventures and what he saw and experienced make me almost jealous of his adventure. Lisa picked up The Search part 2 and did a fine job twisting the plot just a little more than she’d done in her original draft. And Ariel – most excellent job wrapping up Touching Lands Dance. Finally! All my questions were answered! Mercy! Took a long time. Read and enjoy!
I get to be a judge for Sowrite.us.com’s newest writing contest. Anyone interested?  Link on over and take a look. This contest is to write a complete story in three (3) sentences. Can you do it? It took me a while, but I was able to – not the best – but it works. However, I’m a judge so I can’t enter. I’m looking forward to the entries. Wormhole will be giving away a couple of ebooks and looking at new talent to possibly showcase on the website – I’m excited about that too.
 
Riddle cave – Canadian icon – the only icon I can think of is maple syrup? Actually I started to type in hockey puck, and this bolt of maple sugar charged through me. And if I remember right, weren’t thousands of gallons on syrup stolen earlier this year? The only other icon I could think of was Chris Hadfield - that one didn't quite work.
Speaking of astronauts - 8 new ones were recently added to NASA. One of the skills they had to demonstrate was: poetry/twitter/facebook.... look at what Chris started!
Your guess of white out was right on! Too easy. So, try this:
Connect to instant entertainment and fun
Bigger than a pocket
Smaller than 8 x 10
Affordable reading with the click of a switch
 
Have a great week everyone!
 
All images downloaded from google images.

 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment