Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Sweet Rides and Connectivity

Hola again from the Yucatan Peninsula!


First of all an update of sorts regarding the end of the world that wasn't. I haven't heard  from down here at the source why the world is still here but I  did see, in one place downtown, a bunch of Mayan calendar covered stuff with big magic marker signs on it reading " Selecto Reduccion"  Methinks that's the closest thing to the give-away  bin you were talking about Carolyn.


 And speaking of steampunk and seemingly incongruous combinations or collisions of technologies, behold the distracted driver below literally at the reins of an age-old connectivity device and simultaneously mesmerized by a new one.







 That has to be one of the most ubiquitous sights observed in our time here - folks everywhere,  glued to their connectivity devices. It wasn't being practised by absolutely everyone but it was everywhere. I wasn't able to capture a shot of someone traipsing through the ruins surgically attached to their device, but I saw it more than thrice. I found myself more than once culturally teleported to that episode of Star Trek TNG a few seasons in entitled " The Game". Now, in the real world, time and technology have " made it so ".

And now, senors and senoritas,  for any other gearheads in the studio audience, behold a mini-gallery of local sweet rides. There's plenty more where these came from, too. I think I came as close as I ever have to driving my spouse to distraction with my constant stops to snap bug pics. Sorry, can't help it!  I have a long, deep and irreversible  love affair with the original "smart car". My first set of wheels, well, four wheels that is, was a sadder but wiser old beetle. We had an adventure or two, tis true. On the rare occasions I behold one back home I instantly get all goofy and nostalgic.

 I had four bugs over my motoring career before they got hounded off the roads of North America by the emissions control gestapo. They were dirt cheap, dog dependable and practically bulletproof. To drive one was to actually be in touch with the road you were travelling rather than floating over it inside some swoopy isolation chamber festooned with artificial wood and leather that was designed to deny its occupants the tactile joy of locomotion.












         






Even though they stopped stamping out the old beetle here in Mexico, and elsewhere on the planet, a decade ago they are still well represented on the roads hereabouts.  Some have character galore, like the last pic above.

 Oh, if those scruffy and sketchy body panels could only talk! 


So, Carolyn, about those manuscripts. I say bring 'em on once I get back since it appears from what I've been seeing about the climate back in my part of the Great White North  ( dang that connectivity thing anyhow! )  that the Bruce Peninsula is having a winter with cohones, for the first time in a few years. One of the things I'm starting to realize about Spanish is that its an expressive language figuratively as well as literally. The term for snowstorm, for example, is " tormenta de nieve" - couldn't have said it better myself!


 Another example of that colorful side of the language - in Spanish the word for smile is "sonrisa" - cool, eh!


Which just happens to bring things to last week's riddle. It was  "alba" as they say here, or  sunrise. BTW If you are seeing vampires by way of your cursor Carolyn, I believe you may need  more moments away therefrom.

Here's this week's:



Be gone or be in trouble with the law

Time to call it quits
Declines and Boulevards
Out come the scary monsters 






Don



   






No comments:

Post a Comment