Saturday, September 19, 2015

Take a hike and Leave me alone.





Hi Carolyn,




Gotta admit, I got slightly winded just reading about your hiking hi-jinks. Truly you and I are diametrical opposites when it comes to some aspects of enjoying the outdoors. I  appreciate the invigorating dimension of getting out and moving about, but would prefer taking in the great outdoors from the seat of a motorcycle or the cockpit of a sailboat. Clearly, your M.O. packs a healthy exercise bonus, though.


 Even though I've had someone on more than one occasion tell me to " take a hike " , I just can't muster up enough curiosity to give it a shot.




Speaking of sporty activities, your observation that I'm situated well below the 49th parallel has more than just a  weather related dimension to it. Growing up less than 2 hours from The Motor City and with a dad who was born in Motown meant that this time of the year turned a young boy's thoughts here in Southwestern Ontario to the "  Great  American Pastime " . 













 Late September and beyond meant that baseball was nearing the climax of it's lengthy season. We were in an area where major league ball games on the radio could be pulled in, especially after the sun went down, from Detroit, New York  and on a clear humid night, even from Chicago.  I tried to never be far from the airwaves when the ump intoned " Play ball "


You know how there are sometimes little events - or maybe vignettes would be a better term - that stick with you forever.  Sometimes they aren't major character defining  moments -  just a few minutes when all the cosmic consciousness tumblers are in place.  Well, one of them for me  was in early October, 1961,as a pimply-faced 11 year-old sitting on our  front veranda listening intently to the  transistor radio I had recently traded my paper route savings for. 













" Why would you buy some cheap, crappy Japanese junk?"

 " Sony... what kind of a name is that ?? "

 My schoolmates  thought I was nutso when I emptied the bank account for this one. I was unfazed, though.


 It was, for starters, so amazingly cool to be hearing the radio outside and from this little plastic box about the size of a package of Kraft  Singles  cheese slices. And most astounding of all... it didn't need to be PLUGGED IN.





































My Yankees ( yes... I was a Yankees faithful until the Blue Jays and Expos appeared on this side of the border ) were in contention - of course. But some Yankee come lately named Roger Maris was trying to steal Mickey Mantle's mantle of fame ( of course the pun is intended! )
by being the one to break Babe Ruth's 60 homers in a season record.



Well he got his 61st dinger right at the end of the season - and I remember being able to hear it as it happened. Anyhow, this year, with the Toronto Blue Jays  on top of their division - with the Yankees nipping at their heels of course, I'm into baseball big time again with all of those other Canucks who have hopped onto the bandwagon. Stanley Cup playoffs and The World Series still rule as my pinnacle sports events.





Anyhow, let's get back to the present. I somehow got sidetracked recently into looking into the whole introversion/extroversion thing. It had not occurred to me before that I had fairly pronounced introvert characteristics. I always associated being an introvert with being pathologically shy or having pronounced hermit tendencies.












































However, I have been finding myself in more situations recently - and by recently I mean within the last few years - where I have actually wished I was by myself rather than in the company of others. It wasn't that I disliked the people around me at the time so much as  it seemed to be more and more attractive to be  alone with my thoughts . I was kinda reminded of this after your mention, in your last blog, about certain happenings being, in part, your " reaction to age ".  Maybe this is part of me getting older. Don't people become more reclusive as they age?









My deal, however, is that I've always enjoyed my own company more than that of others most of the time. I don't seek solitude to get things done that are not doable when others are about. I simply am quite comfortable with no conversation in the room other than echoes. Plus, I am happy to just sit and think, or read, or simply " putter about " for hours on end. Sometimes taking my own sweet time tidying up the kitchen or something similarly menial can be surprisingly therapeutic.

  There have been more than a couple of occasions where I've been holding down the fort for a few days here while my LSBH has been down home with her aging parents and the time has seemingly hurtled past. Upon her return I've been asked:

"So whatcha been doing ?"

 I've been hard pressed for a definitive answer.

 "Just sittin' and thinkin' and enjoyin' doing nothing " wouldn't be the best response - truthful or not. 


Okay, on to Mr. Twain and a thought that may be introversion related or not, but is certainly true in my humble experiences:




















































































I have found out that there ain't
 no surer way to find out whether
 you like people or hate them
 than to travel with them.


Catch ya later,

(unless I'd rather be alone...... )

Don







No comments:

Post a Comment