Sunday, August 9, 2015

Time and Whimsy

Good afternoon, Don. Sorry I've been slacking here - taking a couple of days with my son and his family before they leave for home in China. It is hard to believe that they've been here 5 weeks... not the full time with us, but here in the States for 5 weeks. And now they go away for a year, again.

I think this time it is harder because they brought with them our new adopted grandson, Thomas. Adults don't change that much from year to year, but kids do. Thomas will be a whole different person when we visit with him next year. That will be exciting, to see how he's changed and grown.

We had a family/friend summer get-together picnic last weekend. 40 some odd folks came to see the new grandson, see how the new Papa and Momma were holding up. It has to be hard to be parents for only 4 months to a 2 year old. Most other parents get to break into the instant movement, screaming, demanding, loving life of a child from the beginning. I noticed that both my son and daughter-in-law seem to be rather preoccupied and tired. We gave them a night out last night - all by themselves - they went to a movie and came home early to sleep. I remember - I wouldn't do young kids again unless there was absolutely no other choice. I have grown use to the silence of the house.

My bother was a bit whimsical last weekend at the picnic. He addressed the concept of time - how when we're younger, a year seems to drag on and on. But as we mature, time picks up and speeds by. He thought it might have to do with the resume of experiences that you build as you grown older. When you're 10, you don't have much to "look forward to" - you are living day by day. When you're older, you plan and look forward and work toward a goal or objective of some kind so day to day living doesn't drag you down as much. We notice time in relation to what we have accomplished. Interesting thought -

Are you sure the grass would grow 60% slower on Kepler 452b? Maybe it would be 60% faster - and can you imagine the lawnmower you'd have to have? If humans would evolve into a stocker body mass, can you imagine what the grasses would be like? They'd have to be stronger to stand up. I thought I read that Kepler 452b was in an egg shaped orbit around that sun - which means it is only in the "goldy locks zone" for about half of it's orbit. What would you do for the half that was out of the "zone?"

Speaking for space, I ran across a NASA site that gives the times you can see the space station. It is called Spot the Station  - Sighing Location Lookup. We have several times this coming week that will enable us to see it for 3 - 5 minutes before 10 pm. We'll have to go to an open field as the trees in our yard will keep us from seeing it on the horizon.

We tried hard to get to Mr. Holmes with Ian McKellen as Mr. Holmes. As prolific as he is, it is hard to believe that McKellen has never played Holmes. I polled friends who went to see it - most said nice but wait for the DVD. The latest Fantastic 4 is a remake of the older version and most thought it was "okay"... maybe we'll take a chance and see Mission Impossible.

I'm not sure that Benedict Cumberbatch knows how to do "average, mediocre" - I don't think it is in his vocabulary.  His voice over for Smaug was chilling! and when coupled with the animation, it became the source of nightmares! I don't think Tolkien had any idea what could or would be done to his Trilogy when he wrote it. I've found Hugo Weaving to be versatile enough that no one particular role has influenced me. I find him entertaining and solid as an actor. I also admit that I didn't like Matrix so I didn't follow the series.

Nap time is over - time for music and snacks.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Carolyn



No comments:

Post a Comment