Sunday, August 23, 2015

DIY winter food because Weather stops at the borders

Don, 
Congrates on your 40th! And I think your family has good taste to send to you New Orleans – I know you'll have a blast! Love the picture of your pantry! Looks like you and your better half will make it through the winter with no problems even if you can't get out and about!

My grandmother was a late pioneer from the Ozark Mountains in lower Missouri. After she came to live with us here in Colorado, there was always a lot of canning going on in the fall. That fact that we lived in the mountains when I was a child made it even more necessary to can and preserve food. There were several winters when I was small that the mountain passes were closed off and the towns I lived in were isolated from the rest of the world. We had food thanks to Grandma.

Locally, foods are also ripening quickly. It's like everything is suddenly realizing fall is coming and the plants just have to give their final effort to produce. Instead of canning, I freeze. I'm hoping that we don't lose electricity. I've been able to freeze lots of squash and beets, got beans put up last week. Want to do another couple of bags of beans next week along with more beets. We're not much into fruits – I've thought about jams and preserves but haven't taken the time to learn how to do it.

A gentleman that I work with is deep into canning and preserves. He even makes cucumber jelly ... don't think I'll go that far.

I'm amazed at my students when I tell them I've been freezing for the winter – their remarks remind me of the grasshopper and the ant. I don't like being compared to an ant, but I do like being able to eat what I want to eat any time. Is that the independent hippie in me?

In case you missed it, we are NOT on a collision course with an asteroid. Through the various renditions of the story, the asteroid kept getting bigger and the title print got bigger too. But, NASA has assured the world that this collision will not happen in September. Puerto Rico is saved along with everyone else.




What did strike my attention was an article by Tia Ghose about a wormhole created in a lab using magnets. By creating a 3 layer object, with the inner most layer a spiral-cylinder covered with yttrium barium copper oxide to bend the magnetic field, the wormhole is able to deliver information energy impulses from one place to another. Right now the thought is medical applications based around the MRI machines that already exist. What do you think will happen in less than 10 years?

So my better half and I are watching the weather last night; observing the path of the cold fronts that are sweeping down from the north and colliding with the usual warm air coming up from the Gulf of Mexico and we noticed that according to the weather maps, weather stops at the north and south borders of the United States. ... I'm not sure what you get instead, but according to the maps, it isn't "weather".



Only two weeks left to buy Transports! These are delightful 2 – 3 story e-zines available through Amazon filled with short stories that Wormhole writers have penned through the last 5 years. Some of the stories are serials that take place over several Transports; others are individual stand-alone stories. Both Tammy and Jeff put together short story transports this spring which are still available. Take advantage of the low price! These quick reads should not be missed!


Have a great week!
Carolyn 

 Images downloaded from Google Images
Fig 1 – Silverton Winter retrieved from Blizzard buries Silverton - The Denver Postwww.denverpost.com
Fig 5 – AsteroidEarth retrieved from What happens if you try to land a Hull E fully laden? - RSI Community Forumsforums.robertsspaceindustries.com




No comments:

Post a Comment