Friday, April 3, 2015

Bunnies and Raptors and Robins, oh my !

Hi Carolyn and Happy Easter,


Hopefully you are having a good final few days of your erroneously titled Spring Break week. That egg-laying Easter Bunny sent us a couple of relatives and their pets to help create some low-key mayhem around here this holiday weekend. There are no little ones about, though, so no hidden eggs to ferret out.








Also great to hear that you've taken a good deal of edification from your marketing course. Sorry  that the architects' of said course hadn't boned up on their Bloom's Taxonomy before they put it together though. Still, it was quite obviously a full value learning experience.




I think you can make a good case for the Harry Potter series as culturally influential too. I'd not be inclined to see it as " widely" so, however. Those who totally bought into Harry Potter's world were probably, for the most part,  fans who first met the stories in print. The same can be said for the Tolkien trilogies too.  If we broaden the parameters  for this we could also make a pretty good case for The Wizard of Oz which also made its debut in print.








 Star Wars - and I do mean the original three movies -  hit us in celluloid from the git-go, so it probably appeals to a wider base simply because it, as a visual experience, takes imagination out of the equation.   ( I'm using the term " imagination" in it's narrowest sense, here. )



It's a most interesting, albeit academic pursuit, I know. There could be a treatise or two out there already that probes this area. If not, then there's one for one of your students to tie into. Something about the nature and quality of cultural impact from visual as opposed to literary sources. The sheer potential for obfuscatory polysyllabification of it all has my synapses on the ropes already. Like the song says, " Push me into shallow waters before I get too deep!"







Actually, a yuletide gift I received was finally spent last week and I now have the Lord of the Rings Trilogy and The Hobbit threesome on DVD waiting to be looked at in a fit of binge viewing. I'll report back on that in the future.




Yesterday, before the guesties arrived, I had a chance to slide on my halfway-to-hipwaders rubber boots and go galumphing about on this still very soggy property. We've had two consecutive days of  sun and temps in the mid-sixties (Fahrenheit) accompanied by gusty winds, so things have melted in a most energetic fashion. It was so nice at one point that I sat on a ledge at the back which was out of the wind but in full sunlight and simply reveled in  being warm and outside at the same time. My revelry was short-lived, though.







Once again a killer winter did not decimate the flora and fauna ( well, the fauna at least... ) as my few minutes of sun kissed repose were interrupted more than once by gangs of roaming, rapacious robins looking for whatever they could gobble up in the newly exposed grass. They were not shy about it either. A couple of them almost looked ready to frisk me as I sat there. They were also not shy about muscling each other out of the way when a discovery was made.   If it's true that birds are descended from dinosaurs then these guys  came from the velociraptor family.









That capricious Mother Nature, still has a bit of a "thing" going with Old Man Winter, it seems. Tonight we're slated to dive well below freezing again. Those folks in the sugar bush will be busy now, for sure. Our son has a number of mature maples on  his property and has gotten into the sap and syrup thing in the last few years. This kind of weather, he tells me, is ideal.








With that in mind, consider this week's Twain-ism:



In the spring I have counted
one hundred and thirty-six
kinds of weather inside of
four and twenty hours.
 


Enjoy the rest of your break.


Don




All images sourced from Google Images

Fig. 1 - alumni.furman.edu
Fig. 2 - en.wikipedia.org
Fig. 3 - phys.org
Fig. 4 - birddamagetofruitcrops.info
Fig. 5 - b-e-c-k-y.deviantart.com
Fig. 6 - wzoz.fm.com
Fig. 7 - screeninvasion.com









No comments:

Post a Comment