Sunday, March 8, 2015

Vibrating by Association

Good Morning, Don.
I am so remiss at not participating in the other side of the "editors' conversation" . We changed our chatting schedule; I also changed my schedule at work and I'm still having problems figuring out the when and where of things. At least you have a good excuse – you are on vacation!  And you are having lots of micro-adventures!  I have been keeping up with your blogging and your jogging through out the Peninsula.

I think I'm rather jealous! You actually have time to read! What's up with that?  The only reading I've been doing lately has been student papers and the stories for Wormhole. Received Tammy's latest – it is a heart puller! And Jeph's latest is one of those "think on your feet" action adventures. (The links are to Tammy and Jeph's last stories for Wormhole.)
But what has my attention right now is Ariel's Dance with White Time. I did an email interview with her last week. Amazing! Did you know that her whole Airlands Series was influenced by Rocky and Bullwinkle? We have parts 2 and 3 on the website, with part one for free on the Books for sale page. She said that her favorite character in this was Archanuiss. He has a lot of potential as a character, but a a reader, I think the Heron God Beast, Feather, is more interesting. 

I have to admit that I was never very smitten with The Stainless Steel Rat chronology. Harrison is not one of my return-to authors. I have enjoyed some of his work, but not a lot of it. From what you shared, maybe I'll try again.

I have always enjoyed Cleese's slapstick humor – but only in short bursts. He must, however, be incredibly bright to make the connections and word plays that he is well known for. I loved what you inserted about "Jack". And I could actually see "Jack" tearing up the Dear Jack letter and moving on! Cleese's comments and thoughts about editing are right on!  I've translated it to: Put the key action at the end of the chapter! That way readers will read on!

His comments about teaching boys were also right on!  My male students are a bit older than 10 or 11 by almost 10 to 15 years. Believe it or not, the same tactics apply. Males are really into fairness and usually, by the time they get to me, they really do want to learn. They've overcome the jock nonchalance of high school and realized that the world really doesn't care about whether or not they played spots in high school.  

Here in finally sunny Colorado (we went through a couple of weeks of ice showers then snow), I am learning about Internet Marketing. It is a six week course with 12 modules.  I'm in the process of designing a marketing plan for Wormhole's Transport 40 which will showcase the work of Tammy Narayan, one of our writers. I have so many choices! And knowing which ones will work and what will work better is not on my magic 8 ball.
I've been teaching Press Releases to my Comp I class as part of their research process. And I'm excited about using the technique myself! But who do I send it too? Or do I just give it a shot, see if it helps and work from there? I think the banners and click for view things that can be done are bit beyond my budget right now – probably because I don't know if they really work. I'm not the kind of person to click on an advertisement. Should I base the rest of the population on my actions? I hope not! There is so much that could be done! What is the right path?

I read an article on "Dreaming of Wormholes: Four ways to break the universe's speed limit" by Jessica Orwig.   She talks about how subatomic particles communicate with each other by vibrating, and that when they are close together, they vibrate in unison. Then, no matter where they are in the universe, they will continue to vibrate in unison. What she doesn't answer is, what happens when another particle comes along? Does it start vibrating with the other two? If this is true, then by association, isn't the universe already vibrating in unison? 
So does this also explain why some groups of people think certain things are funny and other groups don't? Who you vibrate/associate with determines your humor factor?

Twain got "fiction" right: it does have to makes sense. It is reality that gets a bit strange.

Travel safe! and I hope that the weather clears long enough for you to get home safely. And that this year, your pipes are not frozen. 

Carolyn 

All images downloaded from Googe Images
Fig 4 – subatomic particles retrieved from  ILC NewsLine - 8 October 2009 - Feature 1
Fig 5 – Wormhole retrieved from travelmeintime.blogspot.com  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment