Friday, October 10, 2014

Where to Begin

Hi Carolyn,






Wow, there's so much just from your last post to deal with that I don't know if I'm gonna be able to address everything I want to  address herein and still continue on the "Highway to Mel" as well.  May just  put that part off til' next time.





 Anyhow, let's have at it.













Since I mentioned, a couple of blogs back, that I wanna look into this whole Dr. Who culture ( or maybe " civilisation" would be a more appropriate term ) I've done some  scatting about online and found that Who-ites are both ubiquitous and legion. They are also zealous in their feelings about every iteration of this series. Your recent comments  just cemented that even more. Man! I just don't know where to begin. It's like being completely new to the  rock music ocean and wondering where to stick your toe in first.

 Feel free, over the next while, to provide some guidance, if you feel so inclined.









So, about the " old" incident of which you spoke last time around. That " old is 20 years older than you are right now"  approach  strikes a comfy chord. We boomer folks may not be dictating the direction of popular culture, but demographically we still have mega-clout because of our disposable income. Nice to know ( he noted cryptically )  that our statistically substantial disposable income coupled with our supposedly diminishing mental faculties  makes us a burgeoning marketing target.




  Can't help  but notice the proliferation of prime time ads for incontinence products, drugs like " Celebrex" and mobility assist items. Not to worry, though. You and I are at the very bottom end of this sizeable demographic. We aren't directly in the merchandiser's cross-needles for this stuff quite yet.





I think the televangelists caught on to this marketing reality quite early on.


 Still, I suppose,  it's nice to be wanted, isn't it.





Most enjoyed your reflections on the first dance for your granddaughter. At 14 She's got a lot of similar situations ahead, probably. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be in that situation and have the mind of an adult. After playing out a potential scenario or two under those circumstances I realize that it would be even more terrifying.


 Ignorance is, possibly, both bliss and protection.


Okay, let's update the riddle scene.


The last one I put up was a guitar. I'm gonna guess that your riddle from last time is a tree root. I will stick a new one in here next time.



Finally, I am totally with you on the Carol Burnett thing. I can't think of a better variety show comedy ensemble than the one she had. Harvey Korman, Tim Conway, Vicky Lawrence and Carol were simply the best at that time in that place. So many of us went there for laughs and were not disappointed.

 Just seeing Tim Conway's face in my imagination right now makes me bust out laughing.




See you after our Canadian Thanksgiving.


Don




Good Grief!  I forgot to include Lyle Waggoner in the Burnett crew - Sorry Lyle!





No comments:

Post a Comment