Saturday, July 20, 2013

Moon Day, Science and Family


Family events! Outstanding! Don, I admire that you took on both your wife’s family and your own! Heroic! I get to do this next weekend. My son and his wife, from Bosnia on their way to China, and my daughter and her family (the grand kids) will all be here for a family reunion. Never in my adult-after-the-kids-left life did I imagine that all seven of them would be staying at my house at the same time. Where to put everyone! This will be an adventure! We are also close to closing the negotiations on whether or not our 13 year old granddaughter stays a week with us. We have finally gotten all the logistics taken care of, now we’re down to whether or not she wants to come.
Before I move on, I want to say that the picture of the young woman, her mother, grandmother is striking! Well done!

I’ve been reminded that today, Saturday, is Moon Day – July 20th, 1969, Neil Armstrong and  Buzz Aldrin landed and walked on the moon. I came home from a date and sat and watched this mind shattering event on our small black and white TV in the back room. I remember being amazed, thrilled and scared all at the same time. One of Wormhole’s authors, Ariel Cinii, has suggested that July 20th should, by all accounts, be made a holiday – maybe even an international holiday. I agree. The science that enabled us to walk on the moon has changed our lives. Why not celebrate the crowning event?

The science that got us to the moon gave us Velcro, microchips, corning ware, flu shots, and eventually led to many of our current necessities – the cell phone, the computer, kevlar. Did you know that the simple calculators we use to add and subtract on have more capability than the first computer that put man on the moon? Most of the math was done on slip sticks, also known as a slide rule. My dad had several, and taught me how to do basic multiplication, division, fractions and decimals. I’d like to say “those were the days”, and they were. Would I trade them? Probably not.

I’ve been plagued with computer problems again this week, (Ariel tells me Mercury Retrograde which fouls up technology, ended early this morning) and I got to thinking about the “good old days”. Typewriters – I always wanted a Selectra that would go back and correct the misspellings without having to use liquid white out. I also remember all those times I looked and looked and searched, thought I had corrected all the problems, took the paper out of the typewriter and low and behold – there was another mistake and I’ve have to type the page again. It was better than having to write the paper by hand, but it was just as frustrating.

Remember “erasable ink”? I thought that was a mile stone in human advancement!

 I’ve got the next Transport ezine, Transport 23, ready for publication and the web developers. It goes up the first Friday in August. Spent most of yesterday on it. This one includes one of my stories – Tracker – The Invitation. It also has the 4th episode of Touching Lands Dance – the episode that leads up to the big finale (which will be in September’s Transport ezine). I’m excited because we also showcase Colby Elliott and one of his audio books. Our web developers figured out how to put an audio sample on the website. To some of you that sounds rather elementary , but the website host is rather archaic. Time to find a different host and how to migrate what we have has been very limited.

To the Riddle cave: The riddle this week was picnic table. I imagine you’ve sat at one or two over the last week, Don.

My guess for yours is: clothes pin

And back to you:

Flapping in the breeze
Harbinger of dryer things to come
Hastily put away when it rains
 

Well, time to move on to house cleaning and laundry – the never ending have-to’s of life.

 

Have a great week everyone!

 

Carolyn
 
 
All figures downloaded from google images:
Fig.1 – Footprint on moon - milnusblog.wordpress.com
Fig. 2 –  Cell phone / superhero cape - www.picturesof.net
Fig. 3 Velcro myth - www.todayifoundout.com
Fig. 4 –  Slide Rule - www.joernuetjens.de
Fig. 5 – smiling cat

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment