Sunday, September 28, 2014

Civil Disobedience, Polar Bear Fast Food, and Reading

Good morning! It is a bright sun-shinny day with the temperatures finally in "fall" mode instead of hot summer. I've been pulling carrots from the container garden as well as scallions (table onions). Sometime this week I'll take the beets out and get them cooked up and frozen. The container garden was wonderful this year! Even the flowers did well. The snapdragons have become the focal point of color as the rest of the flowers have reached the end of their growing cycle.



 A few things caught my eye this week – most notably the walk-out of high school students over changes in the History curriculum.  Apparently 3 conservative educational board members decided that history should ditch all the civil disobedience  and teach only high patriotism, that the US can do no wrong, and to discourage civil disobedience. Over several days, about a 1000 high school students walked out of class and held rallies along the main streets to protest. The creators of this new curriculum condemned teachers for involving students in something that wasn't really their business.

Now, the interesting thing about this is that it is similar to a curriculum that is taught in Texas, and the Republican Party has openly stated that they do not support this curriculum. There were many letters to the editor, but the one that made the best case against the changes dealt with the local  AP (advanced placement) curriculum being   in-line with the AP  national curriculum so that students can get college credit for classes taken in high school. The proposed changes will make it difficult if not impossible for students to pass the national test. Censorship was also mentioned ... and you want to know why the Millennials don't trust people?

I also read that because of global warming and the longer insect cycles, spiders are getting larger. This has been validated by the large brown hermit crab like spider that has a huge web stretched between some of the flower containers. It has been fascinating to watch it catch bees and wasps, wrap them up and yesterday, I watched as it hauled one of its bee catches under the rim of the flower pot where it nests. Reminded me of the Hobbit and the spider.  As curious as I am, I'm not sure I want to look under the rim of the pot. I've noticed that we don't have a big problem with bugs in the yard this year – I wonder if this guy has family throughout our yard. I did see our garden snake a couple of days ago – he/she was moving rather slow due to a full belly. I remember you writing about insects taking over the world, Don. I have the feeling they already have and they're just sharing the world with us.

As global warming has affected the Artic, there has been an actual change in the Artic geography. I watched a news clip on polar bears taking advantage of their equivalent of a Big Mac – geese. Geese were on the verge of extinction 40 years ago, constraints were put in place, and the geese population exploded.  There are millions of geese and they have eaten their summer nesting grounds (the arctic tundra) down to the dirt.

Enter the polar bear, now coming back to land sooner because the ice pack is melting, and what is there for them to eat besides seals? Geese and eggs. The high caloric content of geese eggs is more than a Big Mac and the bears are eating as many as 300 – 400 eggs a day. I am continually amazed at how life "rights" itself.




The best news I have though comes from Wellington ,New Zealand. An article by Jeanne Whalen explains that "Slow Reading Can Help Your Brain and Cut Stress". There is actually a book club in Wellington, New Zealand, that meets weekly – for the sheer joy of reading in a quiet space, no technology interference, no discussion about what is being read – it is simply a return to "old-fashion" reading for the joy of it. The article goes on to expound the advantages of reading and that it helps those of us on the flip side of middle-age retain memory.

 I spent the last couple of days cleaning out the closet in my office. I have donated and given away more than a 100 pounds of fabric – I don't see myself returning to quilting anytime in the near future. I've also given away my jewelry making equipment and beads, the yarn for all the blankets I was going to crochet... it has been a tough week of letting go. I remember why I bought each piece of fabric, what quilt it was going to grace. Now I have an empty closet. I painted it this morning – found that I was much better at using a roller with my left hand – paint brushing is still a right hand activity – so the closet looks rather patchy – but it looks clean. Think I leave the doors off – that way I'll know what I put in the closet and whether or not I need to buy more or clean it out and let it go. Maybe, just maybe, I'll have some room left for a quiet reading space with pillows on the floor. I'll let you know.


Have a great week everyone!

Carolyn

All Images downloaded from Google Images


No comments:

Post a Comment