Saturday, July 12, 2014

Roadblocks and Seeing Red



Hi Carolyn,



I'm glad to hear that the first and most critical days of adjusting to your underhanded situation are going "tickety-boo" as the Brits would say.  That " neural block " thing you mentioned is kinda familiar.  I'm pretty sure that every time I have caused an accident around the place it was because my brain and the part of my body that was supposed to carry out the orders  were simply not fully  in contact with each other, and hence, the catastrophe .




I'm pretty sure that it won't be long before you are ambistrong and  fully dexterous.






Two things you mentioned last time  around are on my list of favorites. They would be siestas and needle nose pliers. The siesta thing has always been a-ok for me.  45 minutes to an hour is my preference. 

 Lotsa people I have dealt with over the years have been visibly snobbish about it however. They seem to see it as an admission of guilt or weakness to stop and grab a recharge. I always figured that  their reaction was just a side-effect of a Judeo-Christian work ethic running amuck and that their personal priorities were egregiously out-of-whack.


 Gotta listen to that body and if it says time to put'er in neutral for a spell - don't feel guilty about it - JUST LISTEN to your bod and  feel rejeuvenated once its done.

Farley Mowat pointed the way in Never Cry Wolf - its something that the animals do naturally.







Needle nose pliers are also in the cool column pour mois. Maybe it's  because my dad was a watchmaker and boatbuilder or because they are among the prime instruments used by inveterate tinkerers. There are decidedly more than a couple of pairs of them in my toolboxes and on the wall in the shop.












Finally, this would be in the " Son of a gun - I didn't know that " soft-science file for me. Just happened to catch a snippet of a did-you-know type item on the weather channel recently that had to do with readheads. Apparently the red hair era is drawing to a close, for reasons that weren't made totally clear but apparently have a lot to do with climate change. 

 It caught my ear for a variety of reasons. I'm in the midst of that story about ghostly activities in Scotland that you mentioned in your last blog and a full head of arresting red hair is a key visual element in that tale.  Also ginger follicles are anything but uncommon to my world.






My mother was a kick-derriere readhead in her prime. My better half was nicknamed "Red" in her growing up years for the same reason. Our son has dark hair but the beard he nurtures every winter would make Eric The Red a tad envious.



 
 


So, it was with something akin to consternation that I absorbed this article about how the red hair gene is supposedly on the way out. Apparently Scotland has the highest proportion of gingers at 13% with Ireland not far behind at 10%.  In the item there was a flurry of pseudo-scientific fuddle-duddle about why the gene is on the way out. I didn't catch much of it. I did do the Google-boogie about the whole thing earlier tonight, though and  some equally authoritative-sounding types poo-poohed the whole notion and feel that red hair is " not due to go away anytime soon." 


This  added a bit of fuel to my suspicion that weather channels hype stuff up like their brethren in the hard news world,  just to keep your eyes on their screen. 



Have to say that the weather, when taken on a planet wide perspective, is making quite enough news on its own recently, so such fluffing seems to be superfluous.


Much ado about nothing perchance but it kinda reminded me, for some reason, about a fridge magnet I have stuck on the door of my basement workshop.



I could do great things
if I wasn't so busy doing
little things


Not necessarily words to live by but a small study in perspective none-the-less.




Okay, the philosophesizer has left the building.



Hope your week goes well Carolyn,




Don



All images sourced from Google Images



Fig. 1 - www.screensteps.com

Fig. 2 - www.fineartamerica.com

Fig. 3 - www. wolvesontario.org

Fig. 4 - www.automationdirect.com

Fig. 5 - www. geonice.com

Fig. 6 - thisthattheseandthose.com
















No comments:

Post a Comment